Monday, June 12, 2023

STUDENT EXPRESSION RIGHTS:

Grad school submission post: School law as it relates to dress code.  


STUDENT EXPRESSION RIGHTS:

SCENARIO: A group of students have begun wearing bracelets to your school that carry the message, “I "heart" boobies.” The bracelets are sold by the American Cancer Society as a fundraiser. The American Cancer Society is active in your community and several of the prominent families in the community have lost loved ones to breast cancer recently. You are aware that the bracelets have begun to cause disruptions in the classroom as reported by teachers and documented by discipline referrals and at least two fights between students have been directly attributable to the wearing or possession of the bracelets.




Since I have worked in education the last ten years. Oh boy! do I have a lot of tales to tale about dress codes- what is and what is not law or policy. Let alone; my own personal experience of one day while in high school. I had a teacher chase me down the hall because I had on a bad to the bone African drip. And honestly my teacher freaked out for nothing but it turned out that my traditional "Kanzu" may have been out of the dress code. I work at a school that years ago made national news because the principal was not letting parents and students in the building unless they had on what she regarded as professional wear. The roughly 1,600 students were prohibited from wearing flip-flops, low-hanging pants (sagging) and teachers and staff had to look neat, clean and dress appropriately. 


What I can tell you about this particular scenario was that the school principal did not plan out her out right ban on satin caps, bonnets, shower caps, hair rollers, pajamas; torn jeans showing lots of skin and uncovered leggings. No parents, students or staff were to come on campus in low-cut tops, undershirts, short shorts and dresses that reveal the derriere. It was something crazy . There were national news everyday. In a few weeks. I say the might building principal had lot control of her school. Being that this was an Urban school. Parents, staff and students began to protest these demands. Students began to do the exact opposite. They wore everything she forbidden. Some staff members that felt targeted began to call their unions. Some quit. No one wanted to work there. One person sued on basis of religious decimation and won. A few months later. The school had an interim principal. 


The take from all this is that as a boss. One must have clear expectations. In the scenario presented today about the American Cancer Society bracelets. If I was in charge. I would send home a review of the student-dress-code as outlined in the student code of conduct. I would reach out to legal to draft something out about freedom of speech/expression. Then I would slowly remind the students, parents about these issues. Because I assume I will be leading a high school. My school would offer free dress days in the dress code. On those days students can then wear these bracelets. I would also allow the students to wear the bracelets during cancer awareness days in line with the district, state and federal holidays. 


Because they are causing discipline issues. It would have to be a major discipline issue for me to out right ban the bracelets. It is important to keep the house in order but it is how you approach the business. If you come off as someone who is trying to rule over the community and impose you beliefs. You will run into the ground. But if as a principal you keep good communication with the community. People will know when right is right. I would not allow any fights in my building. Even small ones. So the students involved in fighting will face discipline consequences. 



Source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/houston-high-school-implements-dress-code-for-parents/#:~:text=The%20roughly%201%2C600%20students%20at,and%20clean%2C%20and%20dress%20appropriately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

10 key attributes and contributions for a beginning soccer coach

  As a soccer coach, there are numerous qualities and skills you can bring to the table to ensure the success and development of your team. ...