Tuesday, February 7, 2017

SLUMS OF KAMPALA, UGANDA


Slums of Kampala, Uganda

 

Think how you may about these slums, their streets frightening, ghettos pocked by sudden violent spaces, with a smell of hell amidst a bright day.

 

How come, I ask myself…how may it be that I do not remember myself here; I do now…. as a child, walking barefoot perhaps on broken shards of glass, going on open latrines hoes, sewage in the front yard; the way of flies at a festival

 

It is how it is here in Natete, Nakulabye, Bwaise, Kawempe, Kamokya, Kasubi, Kawala, Kikoni, Kibuye, Kansanga, Namuwongo, Kinawataka,

 

Perhaps since my being lacked fullness here; I had to forge a different direction; beyond my birth borders and the evening sun above these ghettos….

 

 

I must have gone far away from here, I must have grown up in the land of concrete spaces; skyscrapers made of diamond and washrooms made of marble, beautiful lawns, properly lit streets and people with smiles as white as snow. But I still remember myself in these slums…as if this morning I remember my mother here, I remember my first steps here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 key attributes and contributions for a beginning soccer coach

  As a soccer coach, there are numerous qualities and skills you can bring to the table to ensure the success and development of your team. ...